Monday, April 25, 2011

XIV- Trend Hopping




1st of all, happy Monday to everyone. All 3 of you who read my blog. If you got here looking for the Daves of Thunder post, scroll down and look over to the right. I decided to start today's edition of The Apprisal with the famous scene from Billy Madison for two main reasons:

1. To remind people that Adam Sandler used to be funny
2. To illustrate that most people are sheep.

What is Trend Hopping
I would classify trend hopping as jumping on the band wagon of some cultural trend, regardless of your actual interest in said trend. I'm not in the business of telling people how to live their life (Yet...more information to follow), but the point of this post isn't to ridicule these people. It's to help these people. By making fun of them.

As a point of disclosure, I'm sure everyone has had an interest or hobby as a younger person, and now upon reflecting back can laugh at what they were into. During Jr. High/ High School, I listened to a lot of metal/ hard rock music. While I still enjoy the majority of this modern metal, etc., there are some Cd's that aren't worth the material they are printed on. For an example, I present 18 Visions (18 Visions are great for their nonsensical approach to song structure and horrible lyrics/singing). I own worse Cd's then this, if you can believe it.


The Problem with Trend Hopping
The main problem with trend hopping is you are revolving your interest around a trend, i.e. a fad, because of the popularity or perceived "coolness" of the fad. That is all fine and dandy, but what happens when this trend, like the dodo bird, goes away? A person who has set this precedent of trying to associate with whatever is the latest & greatest, is forced into another trend. A great example of this are celebrities. They are easily dated by their appearances. Think of what was popular in the 80's- feathered hair, gaudy color combinations, nylon pants, etc. I think it's ironic that fashion shows are trying to sell clothing by designing stuff that is so weird no one would ever wear it. Is there something I'm missing here?

Examples of "Dead" Trends

Jnco Jeans
 I could write a whole post on Jnco Jeans. Absolutely horrible. I like to buy jeans that have a nice "boot cut", etc. so the jean fits around my shoe. I think the actual measurement is typically 18-20" in circumference. I'm not sure the point of jeans that have a 30"+ opening at the bottom, unless you A. want to look like a Jawa from Star Wars IV, or B. have elephant-man feet. Not to mention the standard patch that looked like it came out of a cereal box.



Personal Story Time-When I lived in California, I saw someone in the local mall wearing
-Jnco Jeans, standard issue HUGE
-a large,white plastic chain fashioned into a belt and wallet chain
-Stuffed Teletubbies clipped to the chain and dangling off of it.
The image is going to stay with me to the grave.



Jawa's after they shocked R2D2 in Episode IV


Yo-Yo's
I remember when Yo-Yo's were making a comeback in the 90's. A god damn yo-yo. People wonder why America is slipping behind other countries in terms of innovation, etc. It's because full grown adults were learning how to "walk the dog", and customizing the counter-balances in their yo-yo's instead of something productive.

Livestrong Bracelets
These bracelet/bands were all the rage a few years ago. I understand they helped raise a lot of money for cancer research, etc. But it's a little dystopian to see the majority of the populous wearing identical yellow bands everywhere they go.

Affliction T-Shirts
-I'm not sure how this trend got started, maybe from the MMA crowd. I don't think it was ever a good idea to have a look that was reminiscent of a Bedazzler, mixed in with Gothic symbols including skulls and gargoyles

Current "Trends"

Jersey Shore
I was entertained during the first season or so of Jersey Shore, but there is almost nothing on TV that is more repetitive. There is a big, thick line that many people cross. That line divides "Hey this show is funny, all they do is get drunk and fight" and "Hey this show is awesome, these people are awesome. I'm going to dress like them and say their phrases all the time!" I can't wait for a few years to go by, I know more than a few people will be trying to destroy any record of this time frame. What are we on, Season 3? Most shows don't make it 5 seasons, and they are already doing a spin off. MTV already screwed up enough culture with the TRL era, etc.

(Personal Note- It's a bad thing that I am going to a particular person's page to get more ideas of current, soon-to-be-dead trends to finish this post)

Dubstep
My problem isn't with actual dubstep music, but pretty much everything else surrounding it. This is going to burn out real soon, as far as a trend anyways. Right now, Dubstep has turned into a trend similar to previous music genre's, such as punk. Think about punk music. Think about people who listen to punk music. D-bags. A bunch of idiots should have popped into your head. However, a lot of punk music is very good but it is overshadowed by they bumbling simpletons who eventually ruin the genre so much you wouldn't want to say you listen to it for fear of association. As I mentioned in a previous post, I listen to a lot of different genres, which includes a lot of electronic music. Anything electronic that is edgy and might borrow some cadences here and there is now grouped in the "dupstep category", which is inaccurate and has turned it into a trend.


Just Google for dubstep images, or read the comments on some YouTube videos. "OMG THIS MELTED MY FACE OFF, DUBSTEP IS THE BEST" "Jesus died for our sins, and so we could enjoy dubstep"





People who are overexcited about anything, is usually a turnoff for me. Which is unfortunate. So everybody-chill out before you kill something people might enjoy!

P.S. I don't remember people walking around in the 70's with shirts that say "I LOVE GUITARS" "ROCK N' MOTHERF---ING ROLL" and "I LOVE BRITISH INVASION". chill out, everyone needs to chill out. Stop drinking 5 Hour Energies all the time.

P.P.S. I just came came up with an idea. It's going to a huge speaker cabinet, a person biting the head off a bird, and in big text "LISTEN TO BRITISH INVASION" on a black shirt. Don't steal my idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment