Friday, June 10, 2011

XVIII- How to Sleep like you were poisoned

Greetings loyal Apprisal readers! I know I have not posted in a while, but I had to break down what has happened over the last 12 hours or so. I'm talking about sleep, son!!!

Don't worry, the blog is still getting plenty of hits, which reminds me....
Alison Rosen Adam Carolla Bald Brian Daves of Thunder DOT BTL Delicious Pancakes In my mouth

Sleep
Like a lot of people in their early to mid 20's, sleep is a love hate relationship. I like staying up late and hate getting up in the morning. It's a constant battle to go to bed on time. Despite this, I have pretty good sleeping habits (except when I pass out at my neighbor's place, on their floor, when I have my bed about 150 yards away). I usually go to bed around 11:15 to 11:30, with my alarm going off at 7 a.m.


  Everyone has their own particulars for an environment they can sleep in. I have a friend of mine that would play loud music on his computer and pass out no problem. Now banging. Linkin Park and Eminem in my room is not what I like to do, so....

The Official List of Ideal Sleep Conditions
Temperature- Slightly on the "Cool" side. If I had to guess, between 63-67 degrees.
Humidity- As little humidity as possible
Sound- As little sound as possible
Light- As little light as possible.
Smell- As little smell as possible.
Covers- Light, clean sheet and comforter.
Pillows- Standard issue, slightly to moderately broken in.
Bed- Breathable, firmer material. Twin XL, Queen, or larger for length.

Like a Utopian society, it is hard to reach all of these conditions, but it doesn't hurt to strive for. It's hard to control all of these factors, such as when my window is open. Apparently, the intersection I live by occasionally turns into Need for Speed: Underground 2.

The Set-up
Last night was the first night I used my air conditioning unit all spring/summer. I usually have it run to cool my room just a tad, but mainly to utilize it's ability to remove humidity. I rarely need to have it run all night, so I had it run for the typical two hours or so on timer, just long enough to get me to sleep. It does make some noise as it kicks on and off as it maintains temperature, but the comfort benefit greatly outweighs the noise.


Well, I slept like a rock last night. I slept so hard that I slept straight through my alarm. I felt like I had taken a bunch of Advil or NyQuil right before bed. Even with those products, I still would have woken up to my alarm! I was actually worried that maybe my A/C had a leak and I got like freon poisoning or something. I found out that Freon is non-toxic, thanks Google. THAT'S A NIGHT OF SLEEP!

The A/C benefits my sleep greatly, but I had never woken up that groggy, through my moderately loud alarm, and thought that I had been drugged and/or poisoned during the night.

The Culprit
So, after ruling out the poisonous A/C unit, I reviewed what I had consumed before bed.

About a month ago, I decided to make Gin Rickey's for the first time. A Gin Rickey consists of: Gin, Ice, Club Soda, and fresh squeezed Lime. I have since adapted to drink just the same thing minus the Gin, as it is a very refreshing and healthy drink. I will be consuming more and more of these as the temperature goes up during the summer.

Gin Rickey
Enter Sandman
Well, last time I went to Safeway, that had some real b-stock limes: off color, small, and not even on sale. Instead, that had some giant lemons on sale, 2 for $1. I deducted that they must be in season, and I could make the same drink with Lemon instead. I had the first Lemon drinks on Sunday, during the late afternoon. I slept well that night, but nothing out of the ordinary (out of the ordinary i.e. drugged/poisoned). Last night, I did the same thing, except much closer to bed time. I usually make two drinks, half the fruit in each, and finished the second one around 11pm.


Consult your doctor before consuming



Turns out, Lemon is sort of a homeopathic sleep aid, among other things. A Hot Toddy, for example, contains lemon, as well as many teas, etc. designed to help you get over being sick faster and help you sleep. I haven't seen anything promoting the "knocked-out" experience that I had, but seems to be enough evidence to say this is what did me in. I hope now that I have come forward, others will as well with their extreme lemon sleep.


Recipe: The Big Sleep
 (The Big Sleep is a euphemism for death)

Throw 5 or 6 big ice cubes into a pint(16oz.) glass
Squeeze half a large fresh lemon into the glass. I prefer to puncture the lemon several times with a fork to facilitate the juicin'.
Top the glass off with club soda, or water. See you in 16 hours!!!

Warning: Consumption may result in large losses in time

Articles
http://www.ehow.com/how_6857990_do-use-lemon-cure-snoring_.html
http://goneraw.com/forum/drinking-lemon-juice-sleep-and-waking

No comments:

Post a Comment